keskiviikko 17. maaliskuuta 2010

Xbox 360 JTAG/SMC hack!

This is just a draft... I'll fix typos and add more info and links later.
Finally I've found a source for Xbox 360 for decent price which I can use to perform JTAG hack! The manufacturing date of the box is: 17.09.2008 and it has dashboard version 2.0.7371.0. Microsoft has blocked the possibility of performing JTAG hack in the Xbox 360's which are manufactured at the moment. Also If your console has been used after 11.9.2009 in Xbox Live you've probably had your dashboard upgraded to the latest version which currently 2.0.8955.0 (?). You can read more about the update from tmbinc's blog: http://debugmo.de/?p=107.

The changes that the box is exploitable are very good (knocks on the wood!). Only thing I don't know is what the CB version of the box is, because I haven't acquired it yet. But hopefully it is hackable.

JTAG hack involves taking control of Xbox 360's SMC (System Management Controller). Basically you have to dump NAND flash of your Xbox 360 make some modifications to it and flash it back!

It is also recommended to remove R6T3 resistor from the motherboard to prevent Micro$oft from blowing  your efuses.

Here is a picture of evil R6T3 resistor. If it isn't removed it's possible for Micro$oft to "blow up" efuses from your Xbox 360!

As it will take few weeks for me to get the box I will have lots of reading to do so I'm properly prepared for hacking it. I will do the needed software stuff and Skatronix will do all the needed soldering.

If we manage succesfully to hack it we can run Linux or unsigned XBE's. After that you can use Xbox 360 as computer (using Linux). I wonder if it'd be possible to run (PowerPC version) of Mac OS X Leopard on it. :) It'd be wicked.

Here's some info about the hack: http://www.free60.org/SMC_Hack. In the during few weeks I will gather all the information and programs to do the software part and also get diagrams for different model Xbox 360's (there's different revisions like Xenon, Falcon, Jasper, Opus). So the soldering points are different in different models.

I'd also would like to know if there is any way to run XNA compiled programs on JTAG'ged Xbox 360. Pouet seems to have demos also for Xbox 360: http://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?platform[]=XBOX+360&order=&x=19&y=3&page=1&order=

... to be continued soon. Historiaa.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti